Cuvée presentation
A single malt of Glenugie distilled in 1980 and bottled in 1992 for Cadenhead's 150th anniversary, the oldest Scottish merchant house. Cadenhead was founded in Aberdeen in 1842 by George Duncan. William Cadenhead then joined the company and, when George Duncan died in 1858, took over and renamed the business after himself. William’s nephew Roberth Duthie developed the company in the early 20th century and it remained a family business until 1969. William Cadenhead Ltd was then sold to the Springbank distillery’s owner J. & A. Mitchell and Co. Hedley G. Wright, a direct descendent of Archibald and John Mitchell, became William Cadenhead Ltd’s CEO. In the past, Cadenhead had mainly sold its own brands, such as Putachieside, The Hielanman, Seven Stars and Green Label rums. Under Hedley G. Wright, the company began to take more of an interest in single malts. This led to the creation of the legendary collection of dumpy bottles in 1977. This series of single malts stood out for its very gentle filtration, lack of artificial colouring, and relatively high bottling strength for the time (80 proof/45.7% ABV). The labels included lots of information, including the month and year of distillation and bottling, and whether or not sherry casks were used. Also in 1977, the business moved to another address in Aberdeen, and finally to Campbeltown. In the 1980s, Cadenhead sold casks to legendary bottlers such as Samaroli and Corti Brothers through the subsidiary Duthie’s. Finally, two new whisky ranges were created in 1991 and 1992, the Original Collection bottled at 46% and the Authentic Collection bottled at cask strength. Other special series to mark Cadenhead’s major anniversaries (150 and 175 years), as well as new ranges launched since (Small Batch, World Whiskies, etc.), have all contributed to the company’s ongoing history up to the present day.
The distillery Glenugie
Glenugie was built in 1831 on the east coast of Scotland by Donald McLeod & Co. After being turned into a brewery in 1837, it was bought by Scottish Highland Distillers in 1875, who restored it to its original function. After changing hands several more times, it eventually became part of the Seager Evans group in 1937, which in turn was bought in 1956 by Schenley Industries, who incorporated the distillery into Long John Distilleries, using its production for the blend of the same name. As was the case for many others, Glenugie closed in 1983 at the height of Whisky Loch. The stock is today owned by Chivas Brothers, but few official bottlings of Glenugie exist. A handful of independent bottlings have nonetheless been released, many to great acclaim, such as those from Sestante.
Report a problem with this lot ? Report